Steps to Patient Certification
- Visit a physician, physician's assistant, nurse practitioner, or optometrist participating in the medical cannabis program to be certified for medical cannabis use.
- The medical professional will determine whether you have a qualifying medical condition, and if so, register your certification for medical cannabis use with the Mississippi Medical Cannabis Program.
- Within 6 months of medical certification, apply to the Medical Cannabis Program as a patient, using our online form linked below. You'll receive an electronic identification card that can be used at a medical cannabis dispensary.
- Diagram: Steps to Being Certified PDF
The Mississippi State Department of Health does not publish the names of individuals enrolled in the medical cannabis program.
- First, register with our online Portal. Before entering an application, register with the Medical Cannabis Portal. You'll need a valid e-mail address to register, and you'll need to create an account name and password.
- Select a starting application type. When you register with the Portal, choose the type of application you intend to make. (If you intend to make different types of applications, such as a business license and an individual license, you can add a second account later.)
- Verify your Portal registration. You'll receive an e-mail message to confirm your registration. Follow its instructions to confirm your new
- Start your application. You'll be returned to the Portal to sign in with your new user name and password, and create your application. (Individuals must upload a photo.)
Approval time: Upon completion of an application and supporting documents that meet regulatory requirements, there is a 10-day approval time for licensure applications. Upon approval of a patient application, patient identification cards are made available within five days. Please allow time for review and approval of patient applications and practitioner certification information. Applications are reviewed and determinations made in order of receipt of all required information.
Detailed instructions can be found in our Portal User Guide:
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to the most commonly asked questions, visit the FAQ page.
All types of applicants should review the general guide below to prepare for the application process.
Caregivers, facility staff and individuals associated with cannabis businesses may be required to have a criminal history background check and submit an affidavit with their application.
| Affidavit for Medical Cannabis Work Permits & Caregivers |
Must be submitted with medical cannabis work permit and caregiver applications
|Patient Authorization/Caregiver Authorization Form|
Must be submitted with a medical cannabis caregiver application
|Caregiver Background Check Guidance|